Sunday 22 December 2013

A long awaited update and some banana bread



In between starting a new job and life in general there hasn't been a whole lot of time for blogging. There has indeed been experimentation in the kitchen, some holiday baking and delicious recipes all around, but I admit that I haven't found the time to snap the right shots or take proper notes to share with you.

On vacation now in Poland and things have slowed down considerably. It is a lot harder to find the flours I'm used to and so I have had to do a ton more experimentation. Today I made a tasty banana loaf filled with pistachio nuts and chunks of chocolate. I admit that I have been cheating and added eggs back in to my diet while here in Poland. So far, I haven't experienced any ill effects, but I will try this with a flax seed egg when back in Canada and see how it holds together.

I didn't have measuring cups available to me so these measurements are eyeballed, but the results were so good I had to share right away. I will try to test this again and update with any changes when I am back in Canada.

Buckwheat-Amaranth Banana Bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix together dry ingredients:
1/2 cup amaranth flour
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix together wet ingredients in the following order:
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup olive oil
2 bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla

Mix wet ingredients thoroughly with dry

add in:
~1/4 cup chopped pistachios
50 grams of dark chocolate (or more to taste), chopped coarsely

Bake for 35-40 minutes



No comments:

Post a Comment